As you may remember I had given my number to a couple of guys off the dating site. I texted with each of them for about a week. The first one grew up in the same area as me in California. I thought that was interesting. He is 39, works in IT, never married and has no kids. He asked if I would like to get together on Friday (Feb 10) saying he should be free after 6. Sounded good to me (since I already had a date planned for Saturday...more on that in a bit). I got a text from him at 5 saying it would be more like 7. At 6:18 pm he texted and said he was at a mechanic shop near one of the casinos and could we meet there when he was done. Okay. So since it was a Friday night and we would be meeting at a casino I decided to be a little dressier. I wore my tight black pants and boots with a pink sequined tank top and curled my hair. I was ready by 7. When I did not hear from him by 7:25 I texted him to ask when he would be ready. He said to meet in 20 minutes.
We were to meet in front of one of the bars. There was a band playing so a lot of people were in that area. I saw a man kind of wave in my direction. I kind of looked around because I wasn't sure if it was me he was waving at. I didn't recognize him. He had on a stocking hat, a light jacket and jeans. He approached and pulled of his hat and introduced himself and gave me a hug. He was a good looking Greek man. He asked if I wanted to take a seat somewhere. Um ok. He took off his coat and had on a long sleeved heather gray t-shirt. Wow was I over dressed. Men really put no thought into their clothes. So we sat and talked for a little bit, but I was kind of like what is the plan? You kept pushing back the meeting time and that therefore interfered with my dinner eating. I was a hungry girl and it was 8 o'clock. I suggested getting some dinner, he was kind of indifferent about it. We picked a sushi restaurant there in the casino. We had to wait a few minutes for a seat. I got myself a glass of wine at the bar while he was in the bathroom. Our conversation was not bad, it just wasn't very fun. He seems like a serious kind of guy. He also would kind of stop his sentences and say things like I would find out more about him as time went on and that he wasn't like other guys. He made a comment about how we don't have free will and when I asked what he meant he said he'd get into it later. I don't quite get him. He asked me what made me unique. Um, just that I'm all around fabulous! He said he was a rare breed.
Well Rare Breed and I finished up dinner and the bill came...I had to pay for my own. Wow was I turned off by that! I realize I was the one that suggested getting something to eat, but that's because it was clear he had made no plans!! Well I guess I would go out with him again just to see if I could kind of break through and see what kind of guy he was. Hug goodbye. It wasn't an awful time, but I definitely wasn't excited about him when I left either. I got a text on my way home saying he had a good time. Well that was nice.
Fast foward to Thursday of the next week. He asked if I would like to get together and said sure that I was available Friday (Feb 17). He said he would be done with work around 3. I don't work on Fridays so I had gone to the gym and was in the shower when he called, leaving me a message about going out tonight and what would I like to do. I called him back and asked him "So do you have an idea of what you like to do tonight?"
His verbatim response. "Oh wow, you kind of caught me off guard." HUH?? Didn't you ask me out? Isn't that why you called me?? I was kind of stunned and couldn't even put words together. He kind of hemmed and hawed and I seriously was like, WTF dude. He was then like, well do you have anything you'd like to do. So I suggested the wine bar down by my house that also serves food...I learned from last night...need food. He said oh yea, there are some places like that downtown too. Um ok. He was like well I have some business to take care of at 4:30, but it should be real quick. He said he'd call when he was done. I got off the phone and was seriously like, what am I doing? I was not exactly optimistic about another date with no real plans. I was ready by 5...thinking I'd hear from him around then. I was wrong. At 6:30 I was sitting on the couch watching Grey's Anatomy on Demand in my sweat pants thinking I'd wait 30 more minutes before ordering myself a pizza. At 6:37 I got a text from him saying he was wrapping things up. He called 10 minutes later and jokingly said "Did you give up on me?" Me: "Actually I did." He totally didn't expect that answer and was kind of like oh, well do you still want to go out? In my head I really just wanted to say no, but I didn't have the balls. He suggested a wine bar downtown that he couldn't remember the name of so he said he would head down there and text me the name of it. Fine. I put on my real clothes and headed out the door. I was pretty casual with a gray sweater with large leopard spots and my rock revival jeans. I wore my hair straight. I arrived at the wine bar and he got up to give me a hug and I told myself to just start over and ignore my irritation from earlier in the day. He had on a gray thermal shirt - his wardrobe is as fun as he is. I ordered some wine. He toasted to making me wait and said it kind of sarcastically. Was that an asshole moment? Our conversation was kind of forced for about 20 minutes. The bar didn't serve food, grrrr, but there was a couple of small restaurants close by that we were allowed to bring food from. There was a little Greek restaurant that he went and got the menu from. I decided I would just have the hummus and pita...$4.50 and I did not make one move to get up and order it. He went and got it. So for the next two hours I got a lesson in why he considers himself unique and a rare breed. I discovered all the reasons he kept halting his sentences...wait for it...he's a conspiracy theorist. I don't even know how it got brought up, but it is clear that this is a part of his life. He got very intense about it and I questioned him on it, but it is pretty clear he is drinking the Kool Aid. It really isn't even a cool conspiracy theory...like Tupac and Michael Jackson are still alive. At least that would be fun, nutty yes, but fun to listen too.
This was a theory about the lost 13th amendment. What? Basically it said that nobility or people with titles cannot serve in Congress and if they do they will no longer have their citizenship. Um okayyyyyy. So I think what it all came down to was the government really should not even exist or have the control it does because most of the people in Congress can't really hold the office because they are attorneys. Weird I know. He kept telling me to look it up and to look up this other stuff. He said none of us have any control over our lives because all are decisions are being forced upon us by government - oh there is the free will thing he was talking about it. He reference the War of 1812, Black's Law Dictionary and all this other stuff. At one point the older gentleman sitting near him looked at him and then looked at me with pity in his eyes. I am sure he could hear everything Rare Breed was saying. I kind of just sat there drinking my wine (Thank God I had wine) and eating my delightful pita and hummus. He admitted that he knows he sounds kind of out there. I nodded. I asked if he was a conspiracy theorist and he said at one time maybe he would have said that, but now he just considers himself a theorist. Oh.
Then he pulled out the whammy. He held up a piece of paper and turned it sideways to show me the thickness of the paper...0.0032 of an inch...and said see this, this is only the small amount of it I've touched on. I'm pretty sure the look on my face revealed all. I am sure it was the same look I had on my face when I was T-boned by an 18 year old girl and my car spun 180 degrees around. My life flashed before my eyes. Okay I'm done. He said he knew this was a lot of information and I agreed. He just wants someone who is willing to learn. I think he could tell I was totally turned off. This was not a fun time. There was no laughter on this date. I may have sat there with a tight closed lip smile on my face the whole time, but this was not fun. I once again thanked the heavens for wine and told him I was ready to go. We got the check, but he played with it for awhile while continuing to talk. It was clear if I wanted to leave I was going to have to whip out the cash again for my drink. Small price I suppose. We were parked in the same parking lot so he walked me to my car and it was kind of an awkward goodbye because I felt like he was trying to down play his Rare Breedness, but damage was done. I wanted to go. I told him I might be busy the following weekend and he told me to let him know if I wanted to go out again. Probably not. Hug goodbye. He is a good looking guy, but I felt no attraction after this date and I was just being polite at this point. He texted me that he had a great time and hoped to see me again. I really wondered what he thought was great about this date?
Let's move on to the next one shall we. The other man I had given my number to from the dating site asked about going ice skating at 4 and then getting dinner after that for Saturday (Feb 11). Well that sounds fun! He has a plan. He is 33, finance manager, never married and no kids. Our ice skating rink is outside and he texted me around 3 to say it was starting to rain at his house and how about we do something inside...like bowling. Plans to meet at 4 at the local casino that has bowling (same casino I was the night before with Rare Breed). So obviously bowling meant he would be looking at the backside of me quite a bit. I had to make sure I wore jeans that made my butt look good and of course couldn't wear skinny jeans because how awful would that look with the bowling shoes! So I settled on my Rock Revival jeans with my royal blue tank with the ruffles and gray cardigan (I've worn this before in other blog stories) and curled my hair. I didn't realize how boobilicious I looked in this tank until I got home and saw myself in my dining room mirror.
I kept my expectations low as this would be the last person I would be meeting off the internet and really how well has it worked for me!? I met him in front of the same bar as Rare Breed the night before. Oh hello. He was cute...red plaid shirt and jeans, spiky hair and lights eyes and a deep voice that was unexpected. He was immediately friendly and I breathed a sigh of relief. Maybe this would be an actual fun date. We talked the whole way to the bowling alley. We played two games - I won the first one and he won the second. We talked in between and I was enjoying myself. It was just after 5 when we finished our bowling and we decided to go grab a drink. We played some video poker while we had some drinks and just got to know each other some more. He was asking questions that made it clear he was looking for a relationship - really trying to get to know me. I was having fun. We were able to joke and interacted well together. I was having fun. Yay. Around 7 we decided to get something to eat and left the casino and met down at Red Lobster. We had to wait for about 25 minutes for a table and sat at the bar. I found myself giggling and flirting a little. I think my sister would be proud. We ended up having dinner and our conversation was good the entire time. Lots of smiles. Around 10 we called it a night...six hour date and I enjoyed every minute. He hugged me goodbye. I would have kissed him...that's how good of a time I had. I left the date excited about seeing him again. AND for the record...he paid for everything! Even when I offered to get our drinks. I did text him after I got home to tell him I had a really good time and looked forward to the next time. He said he did too and that we would definitely get together soon. Yay.
So on that evil stupid holiday the following week (Valentines Day if you need a reminder)...he actually texted me Happy Valentine's Day. That was sweet considering we had only just met. He was the only one to tell me that...aside from my good friend C-Pilot. On Thursday that week he texted me to ask how my weekend was looking because he wanted to see me again. He suggested Sunday going sledding. I thought that sounded fantastic and told him so. I suggested I could cook dinner after...but only if we still wanted to be around each other after our fun activity. We texted throughout the weekend and after the failed date Friday night with Rare Breed I was really looking forward to seeing Fun Sledding Guy. The plan was he would pick me up at noon (Feb 19) and we would head up to the Mt Rose Meadows area. It was going to be tough to look cute in my ski clothes...so baggy and bundled up. I had my white ski pants and black long sleeved ski top on with my hair pulled into a somewhat side pony tail. I knew once I put my cute pink/gray/white plaid hat on I couldn't take it off - smashed hair has never looked good on me! I had my pink winter boots and pink and white ski coat to complete the look. I don't think I realized how girly my ski clothes could look. When he knocked on the door I was excited and opened the door. Oh hello. He looked super cute in his snowboard clothes! Tight black shirt too with gray ski pants and a he his warm hat on already. It showed off his figure. HA. He had two sleds and we made the 30 minute drive up the mountain.
The sky was bright blue and there were many people on the sledding hills. In fact we may have been the only adults there without children, but whatever. He had a bright blue ski coat and mine was pink. Oh we were cute together. This was a great couple of hours. Sledding was lots of fun for me. It was probably a pretty tame activity for him since he does flips and stuff snowboarding, but this was right up my easy outdoor activity alley. There was a steeper hill that we decided to attempt...there were a lot less people over there. Walking up that hill was actually kind of tough. We sat down at the top of it in our sleds and we had a view of Lake Tahoe. It was a beautiful day and we talked for a bit and then...he kissed me. Oh isn't that romantic - cold noses, bundled in the snow overlooking the lake. Then we sledded down the hill. I may have screamed a little like the girl I am. My butt would definitely be bruised the next day.
We got back to my place around 3:30 and I made us peanut butter and jelly sandwiches - I didn't have much to offer. I changed my clothes into some comfy black lounge pants with a red v-neck long sleeved shirt. I tried to fix my hair so it didn't look so matted to my head. I couldn't really bring myself to put on a real cute outfit. I actually was on call that night starting at 6:30. We watched a couple episodes of Dexter. He had never seen this super awesome show before. We sat close on the couch with his arm draped over my curled up legs. I started cooking dinner for us around 5:30. I just did a real simple pasta dish. I was having a good time just being around him. Easy fun time. Then my phone rang at 7. Boo. Called into work. At least we got to eat. He hugged me and then took my face in his hands and kissed me goodbye. I think I might just like him. This was another super fun day...seven hours together and I enjoyed all of it.
Fun Sledding Guy and I texted a little throughout the week and on Thursday he suggested getting together again. I saw him last night (Friday). I initially suggested going to see my friends band play Friday night. By Friday mid morning I started to get a little bit of a cold so I suggested maybe just staying in and watching more Dexter if he was okay with that. He would pick me up around 7:30 for dinner and then Dexter time. I wanted to look cute even if I felt a little under the weather because last time he saw me in my boring ski clothes (even though he did tell me I looked cute with my little pony tail). I had gotten my hair done earlier in the day so I had fresh color and curl, I wore my skinny jeans with my knee high boots and a previously blogged splatter paint shirt - this time with a black lacy tank underneath that peaked out at the v-neck. We went to Genghis Grill for dinner and it was actually quite tasty. It was a little smokey from the grill which made my already scratchy throat a little more irritated and so I had hacky cough throughout dinner. I'm sure it was attractive. After dinner it was back to my place for some Dexter and there may have been more kissing - but my sister doesn't want details. The night ended with me thinking that I do actually like him. I don't think I will be bored with him. He texted me today saying he had fun last night :) I see future dates. Fingers crossed for me readers! I don't have to keep reminding you that I need it because you have read the evidence of my dating history.
One more story readers! Stick with me. After my first dates with Rare Breed (Feb 10) and FSG (Feb 11) I got a text from a friend on Sunday (Feb 12) asking if I wanted to go to sushi with her and her husband and a friend of theirs that she has wanted to set me up with. Okay! She has had only good things to say about him. I'm a little quiet in groups of people if there are people I don't know. So I don't think my true self showed through at dinner, but I could tell he was funny and he made a point of asking me questions. After dinner he gave me a hug and later in the week my friend asked if she could give him my number. I agreed. I heard from him and we made plans to go to Fuego, a Spanish tapas restaurant on Saturday (Feb 18). After failed date with Rare Breed the night before I knew I would at least have some fun on this date...and I did! First - tapas is kind of a fun idea for a first date because you are sharing the food and you each get to pick stuff. I wore the outfit I wore on my first date with CD (I was probably dooming myself, right?). We had sangria, tapas and great conversation. He kept me laughing and I was having a good time. He paid! After dinner we actually met up with our friends down at one of the casinos for a drink. He was sweet and he would touch me in playful ways. I liked him, but wasn't sure if I LIKED him. I would definitely go out with him again if asked and he did suggest my favorite sushi restaurant and I agreed. But alas....I have not heard from him. I guess maybe he wasn't interested. Oh well. After the dates with FSG I don't know if I could give him a fair chance. I don't know how the Bachelor does it!
Keep thinking happy dating thoughts for me. Until next time...


No comments:
Post a Comment