Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Gone Fishing

When I last left you I was heading out to the casino for hopefully a fun night as a single and fabulous lady. I got to the casino well before the main event of the fight, but that did not matter as there were no free seats to be had...except a Black Jack table. I jumped at the lone middle chair with the tv directly above the dealer's head so I would have a "front row" seat for the fight. I did not realize that I sat at a table of all men, I was clearly focused on the prime location. I proceded to have quite an entertaining night with these five out of towners. They were around my age and fire fighters. They were complimentary to me and said I was the Lady Luck as our table was doing quite a good job of winning. One of them gave me chips when my stash would run low and when I protested he told me to consider it like he was buying me drinks. They were a loud and rambuctious group and they said I was awesome because most people would have left the table. None of them made overt pickup lines or gestures to me, but they did want me to go dancing with them. I thought this was great practice for my goal of talking to strangers...until one of their friends showed up with his fiance...and her friend...who just signed a modeling contract that day! I'm not kidding. She sat down at the table and I was like, uh I know I can't compete with a model, there goes my good time! After the fight I went to my sister's table. She took $10 from me. Bitch.

Apparently it is the week of engagements - Vanessa Minnillo and Nick Lachey after four years of on and off dating, Prince William and Kate Middleton after 8 years of dating, and of course Jessica Simpson and some unknown ex football player after dating a mere six months. It is also the beginning of all those wretched diamond commercials made especially for Christmas time. They show the happy couple outside in the snow when he presents her with a box - always geared toward making the woman happy with diamonds. This is all just to remind me that once again I will be spending the holidays as a solo person...for the fourth year in a row. Fun. I know some of you may be thinking, but you will have your family and friends, and you would be correct. I love my family and friends very much, but it is not the same has having a partner to go at life together, someone who is willing to tell you they love you when you are having a bad day.

So lets go fishing! I have been on PoF (Plenty of Fish) for four days. Apparently that is enough time for two people to get angry at me. I have gotten repeated emails from two fishes that I did not care to correspond with. Apparently this is a great offense and I should be ashamed of my superficialness. However, I would like to say to them, um, really?? We are on a dating site, the whole thing is superficial. We are being judged by the pictures we put up and the content of our profile including grammar and just plain stupid statements. If there is another place to be more superficial I would like to know. Guaranteed I am getting responses based on my pictures, not on what my profile says. Now I agree that someone we may rate as a 7 will become a 9 or a 10 when we get to know them, but online dating is not exactly a traditional way of getting to know someone. You can't feed off of their mannerisms, flirt, be silly or even show your humerous side and you have to be somewhat creative in trying to show your personality. You can only small chat for awhile and eventually you will have to meet. I am a firm believer that no matter how great you "get along" over emails if there is absolutely no clicking when you meet it is not a good sign. I would prefer to meet people sooner rather than later. I know that I present myself better in person one on one because I am a mute in a group of people.

So I have had no less than 20 emails in my inbox each day. It is a little overwhelming. Online dating is like having a part time job. You have to dedicate a few hours a day to reading the emails, looking at the profiles and searching for your own matches and trying to create smart and witty emails to the available fish. I don't want to bore you with every single email so I will give you the highlights.

The guy who I corresponded with on match before taking myself off for Douche Lord has not responded to my email. He is probably thinking oh yeah, you're the bitch.

I got an email from a man I met at Santa Crawl last year (dress up as sexy santas and go bar hopping). He is one good looking man with a southern accent. We spoke on the phone for about a week. He wanted me to come to his house for a movie. I declined as I did not know this man and I was not going to just go to his house. He didn't seem to understand this. A few days later he texted me while I was at my office Christmas party asking if I wanted to hang out that night. I was looking cute in my dress and thought, sure. He didn't call until after midnight. I did not answer as I figured a man only calls you after midnight for one thing. The next day he told me off via text messages. I wish I had saved them and could regurgitate them to you. It was quite shocking. He basically told me if I could ever get over my textbook idea of a relationship maybe I could be happy and when I grow up to call him. Clearly he doesn't recognize me. It is kind of funny. This is such a small town for dating. It is distressing sometimes. I haven't yet decided what to email back to him...all he said was "you're a cutie." Yes I know.

I have several emails from men with children, as previously stated, just not ready to date someone with kids (unless they are super fantastic and so far they don't appear to be). I also have gotten emails from men who are either way too young or way too old. Ew. I also enjoy the emails that just say "wat up." Really?! How do you expect I respond to that you silly fish and how many women do you actually get with that?

I have continued to exchange emails with boy next door paramedic. He seems normal enough, but lives 50 miles away. Not a good thing as winter approaches us.

I also have exchanged several emails with the "smile maker." He seems cool. He was cooking a stew and watching football on Sunday, really what more do I want? He also is looking for long term. We'll see how this goes.

As far as the guy that I was trying to keep an open mind about. The man I did not find attractive, but had a job. Well he has inundated me with emails and every time I am online checking my email he sends me an instant message. It is over kill and turn off big time. I do not enjoy this and do like him. I think its time to disregard him. Some of you may think that its not a big deal, but it just is not sitting well with me and why chat it up with him when there are other people that actually spark my interest a little.

I've gotten an email from a couple people who were looking for "intimate encounters." Beyond icky. I found out how I can filter these creeps out so I should no longer get those emails!

I have been corresponding with someone who is also a sonographer! He is in Ohio at medical school because he decided to go back to school and is trying to get his residency in Reno. He has an interview on Dec 15th. I'm staying open for this fish.

There is a fish on here who intrigues me a bit. He has his own business customizing motorcycle parts via the internet and ships all over. He has a sleeve tattoo, but seems to be kind of a softy.

Another fish I've exchanged a few emails with is kind of your typical snowboarder type. He seems to be a lot of fun. We'll see.

I've also continued to correspond with rosy cheeked Hispanic fish. He seems to be clearly the most similar to me, so obviously he must be fantastic :)

Time for me to email back my schools of fishies. Then I will watch America's Next Top Model and feel old and fat. Good times.

3 comments:

  1. Aimee, ur writing is high-larious! But come on! Some models are probably the best to party with! They love alcohol and drugs ;) ! You are gorgeous and witty woman, and you held the attention from a table of firemen, own it gurl! There will always be someone prettier and smarter, you be your wonderful, authentic self and it'll happen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. first of all, the only 10.00 I took from you was the 10.00 I gave you at the beginning of the night when you were sitting with that loud group of men, and yes I was very proud of you! second, I TOTALLY remember the guy you are talking about after santa bar crawl. how can he not recognize you? what a freak. I'd go off on his ass! and you had a few typos I think, you said you liked the guy that was inundating you with emails and instant messages... was that true? I got a little confused, but yes don't feed the fire... and I would respond to the ones you are not interested in by simply saying that. what do you have to lose, and remember how horrible it is to just be IGNORED.? I dunno, give it a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also remember the santa crawl man as I was with you both of those nights. What a f-ing loser and freak that he would be so angry over text and then less than a year later forget that was you. ick ick ick

    I also get really turned off by the over-eager online dater with multiple emails and instant messages the second you get on..it gives you the impression they have no life at all..plus they also tended to be the unreasonable ones that you couldn't even explain to why that bothered you...so I say be picky about that because I think it's a red flag

    ReplyDelete