Sunday, March 27, 2011

First Dates...How Many is Too Many?

Hello Everyone! I know it has been a little while since my last post, I wish I could tell you it was because I have been going on fantastic dates, but I can't! I am having to face a new reality...Reno without my sister. She is moving to South Carolina for a job and it just so happens that is where our other sister lives as well. I am now faced with the thoughts of what is keeping me here in Reno? Well first off my job - I truly like my job. Second would be my friends - I do have some special people in my life. Third would be the fact I own a home here and fourth would be that Reno really is a great place to live. However, after four years I remain single...when I first moved to Reno I thought I would give it a good five years. I never for once thought I would be on the down slope toward that fifth year with no relationship or even the prospect of one. I have gone on lots of dates and part of me is thinking that maybe Reno is not the place I am going to meet Mr. Wonderful. The scary idea of moving has entered my mind. Is it pathetic to move someplace because you haven't met a man...I will say it - yes. On the other hand I still have a whole year left in Reno - maybe this will be the best year of my life. Maybe. I am going to be 32 in just a mere 42 days. I know that 32 is not "old," but I am also not exactly where I thought I would be at 32 and how long do I wait before I try and create the life I want. I do not want to grow old alone. I really am not even looking for marriage...just a man who I want to date, a man that wants to date me, and someone I could see the possibility of a relationship.

I believe I have given the Reno dating a scene a good solid "A" for effort. I have done all the possible dating websites and gone out to bars/clubs. I am going to attempt to compile a list for your amusement of the dates I have had in the almost four years of living in Reno. This list will include dates I've gone on and people I have met, but a date never materialized, and honestly I do not remember everyones name! Here goes...

1. John the Boxer. Hot. Big biceps. Tattoos. Shaved head. "Divorced." 2 year old son. I dated him for a couple weeks. This included going to watch him box. Hot. He disappeared - got back together with his wife and joined the military.
2. Braden. Pretty boy drug rep. Studio apartment with a Murphy bed. Enough said.
3. Damario (Hispanic). Adorable smile. One date. Many conversations later we never had another date. He started seeing a girl, who was "just a friend" he had known since high school. I actually saw them out last night. Ugh.
4. Guy who slammed his keys on the table when he sat down. We made last minute plans to meet for ice cream. I met him on a dating site. He had two kids. He literally came in, slammed his keys down and did not even smile. I was like, wow this is so not going to go anywhere. Was he disappointed with what he saw? I will never know.
5. Damario (black). Went bowling and dinner on our first date. Had a good time. He was nice, but on the shy side. Had three dates. Kissed on the third and I think neither one of us felt a spark. He introduced me to some guy friends I still have to this day.
6. Chad. Military guy who was just going to be in Reno for his two week leave. He clearly was looking for a wife to take back to Spain. Nice enough guy, but not what I wanted.
7. Josh. Super outdoor boy as previously described in my Valentine's Day blog.
8. Mateo. Guy I was actually in love with, also previously described in Valentine's Day blog. We just clicked. Got attached to his 3 year old daughter. Broke my heart. Never again.
9. Drake. Met him in North Carolina on vacation (so maybe he doesn't count).
10. Rachman. Most beautiful man I have ever seen. After several encounters it was clear his beauty was only skin deep. Met him at a club. Someday I will have to tell you the full story of this man. My last date with him will go down in my history as worst date ever.
11. Brad. Met him through black Damario. He lives in Vegas. Had a great first date. Said he wanted another one (as he comes to Reno frequently). He started seeing someone and I didn't hear from him for a very long time. Ended up seeing him once in Vegas for a non-date that included sushi dinner and Circque du Soleil show. Good time. Haven't spoken to him since.
12. Nigel. Met him in the grocery story. He had two teenage children who lived in another state. He had a good job. Zero attraction. He sent me a text about the recall of Lean Cuisines. I did not go out with him again.
13. Brae. Age appropriate. Good job. Divorced. No kids. Met for dinner. Had a few follow up texts, but did not respond to my inquiry about a second date. Got a text from him not that long ago - thought I was a differed Aimee. Awesome.
14. Cevin with a C. As previously described in last blog. Douche bag.
15. Raul. As previously described - Guy I see at the gym and want to throw my water bottle at.
16. Crazy Guy From Santa Crawl. Previously described as man who didn't remember me on POF.
17. Damon. Only had one picture on his dating profile. Had eight St. Bernard dogs. Went on two dates with him. Zero attraction. Said he had an "infectious" laugh. I found it to be rather annoying.
18. Feminine guy. Soft spoken and flung his hands around when he talked. I knew the moment he said hello that I would not have another date with him. Met him off dating website. I was on call the night we went out and throughout the whole dinner I prayed my phone would ring. It finally did and I got out of it!
19. Manuel. Cute. 2 boys. Said he was 5'8" - yeah maybe with his arms outstretched above his head. Had an okay dinner except he tended to stare at me while I ate. Felt awkward. No additional dates, but I considered it.
20. Phil (black). Super cute. Met him at the club and he was very respectful. Went out to dinner and movie with him. He was a lot younger than me. Texted me after date to say what a great time he had and he looked forward to the next time. Saw him one more time. Disappeared and then randomly heard from him. Said a friend died. Okay. Made future plans that ended up never happening.
21. Phil (white). Douche bag. I liked this guy. We had a few dates over a couple weeks time. Disappeared and randomly heard from him about a month later. He stated he started a second job and that is why I didn't hear from him. Not okay. Did not see him again.
22. Mark. Guy I met in the club and sat and talked with for an hour. He texted me a couple days later to say that he has to confess that he lied about everything. WTF. He still wanted to go on a date. Um no.
23. James. Coworkers brother in law. Cute. Quiet. One night out. Never called.
24. Shy Scott. Met him for coffee of dating website. It was a pleasant date. Not sure if I was attracted to him. He does aerobatics. Hmmm. He told me if I wanted to go out again to let him know. We did not have another date.
25. Jazzy Jason. This guy was fun. He was chatty. Called me every day. He was a teacher. Went on several dates. He had a 4 year old. Soon our conversations surrounded his son and his crazy mom. Just the kind of thing I don't want to be involved in. I went out of town for a week...never saw him again.
26. Clint. As previously described - guy I thought must have died because that was how bizarre it was.
27. Plenty of Fish Guy. Well that just fizzled out. I think too much time had passed.
28. T - pilot. Never going to see again. Over it. Kind of.
29. Club Guy. He is so random! I got a voicemail from him last week. Not going to go on a date with him. Ever.

So I think that covers it. I may have missed some, but obviously they were not that important. This list also does not include the countless men I have corresponded with on dating websites only to have nothing come of it. I also think I date a variety of people when it comes to race, education, children, and age. 15 of these dates were with White men, 8 Black, 4 Hispanic, and one was half Asian. 9 of these men had children and more than half did not have college degrees. I am a firm believer that you never know who will connect with and if you ask me out I will generally go on at least one date. This seems like a lot of first dates in just under four years. I don't know maybe it is not, but its a little depressing to see that I did not find someone to have a relationship with out of 28 men (minus Mateo).

Tell me readers...would you move for the possibility of finding love...and where would you go?

Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. Hey Aimee, I REALLY want to hear about your disaster-date with Rachman!!! LOL! And, to move for a man you haven't even met yet or a possibility of love.....NO! To move for your sisters....a big YES!!! Although, then I will NEVER see you again most likely and that makes me sad :(

    ReplyDelete