I had a real life date!! That's right ladies and gentlemen my first date in 7 months. This is quite the event. I was emailed by him on the dating site. His first email was upbeat and showed that he had actually read my profile because he asked me specific questions relating to what I had said. Always a plus instead of getting the cut and paste email "Hey beautiful, I like your profile, if you like mine let's chat." I hate those emails and do not respond to them. Anyway we corresponded for two weeks, I learned the basics, he has a job and no kids...stay tuned to if he beats me, he does not have big biceps. He is active, optimistic and appears outgoing. Just the kind of guy I need. After two weeks he suggested we meet for a drink. Well since drinking wine is one of my favorite past times to do on days that end in "y," I agreed. We were going to meet at this wine store/bar that has daily wine tastings. Perfect. So I had two days to find the perfect first date outfit. Since my last date was when there was snow on the ground obviously everything in my closet would be out of style! Plus I have lost 17 pounds and I kind of want to show that off and not wear something frumpy in my closet. So I hit up my regular stores. I was looking for a look that portrayed breezy effortless fabulousness. No problem, right? I found nothing. As a last resort I went to store that caters more toward the teens and early 20's. The clothes I tried on made it clear that they were not meant to be worn by anyone with hips or boobs...or over 4'11" for that matter as everything was super short and smushed down my boobs. I have been relegated back to my closet. I'll just have to make it work.
Friday (July 8)...I have to work, I don't typically work on Fridays, but I am putting in five hours. The perfect amount of time to go get my nails done after work and plenty of time to get ready. I am actually excited. So we are busy at work and my supervisor says I have the option of staying longer if I wanted...hell no, I must prepare for first date in seven months!! I have an outfit in mind so I get my nails done and jump in the shower. I take a little extra time with my makeup and curl my hair. I am going for casual with a hint of glam. Shimmer eye shadow with extra mascara, but not a heavy look. I wear denim capris and a white empire wasted tank top with a crocheted back. It is scoop neck with some embroidery at the hemline. It is not exactly what I wanted because it is loose fitting and I didn't want to add extra bulk to my frame, but I really have no other options. I wear my diamond circled necklace with dangly circle earrings and a big ring to remind me how fabulous I am (I learned that in Weight Watchers). I slip into my strappy sandals and head for the door. I am running on time. I am now nervous. I haven't done this in a long time! So I repeat my pre-date mantra Strong, Confident, Woman (also known as SCW). My self affirmation is making the butterflies dissipate. Don't laugh. It works. Then I pull up to the wine bar and I'm suddenly nervous again. Give myself one more SCW for the road and head inside. I look around...the bar is full. I don't see him. I look to my left and he is sitting at a bistro table by the big floor to ceiling window. He sees me. I smile and he stands. He gives me a hug and is immediately friendly. I am still a little nervous. He does not look exactly like his pictures, but this is okay because he is not unattractive. I kind of wonder if people think I look like my pictures. Hmmmm. Anyway it struck me that he reminds me of Lou Diamond Phillips. So we will call him LDP. We chat for just a little bit before looking at the wine tasting menu. I decide on the Chardonnay flights and he gets the Merlot. He is half Filipino, 31, degree in Finance (my mom will love that), has a younger brother and a dog. We got our wine and it was quite a delightful time. I was beginning to relax and really enjoy my time. We had good conversation and bantered well with each other. The next thing I know it is dark outside and it is 9:30. We have been sitting there for three hours! The time flew by. He told me that he had actually made plans to meet with friends around 8 because he wasn't sure how long he would be. He said he could feel his phone buzzing for the last hour. I wouldn't have known because he never made one move toward his pocket. I appreciated that. So we ended the date and walked outside. He said he had a good time and wanted to do it again. He gave me a hug and said he would text me. I left the date thinking he just might be perfect for me.
My post date high lasted until I got off work Monday. I haven't heard from him. I'm slightly confused. I thought he had a good time? My guy friend said I should hear from him Tues or Wed. Okay I can wait, but if I don't hear from him I think I will go ahead and ask him to do something Friday because I had too good of a time not to give it a shot. My confidence is down even more by Wednesday morning. I send a text Wednesday afternoon asking how things were going and if he wanted to get together Friday. I got no response. Thursday morning my confidence is about a -2. Did I totally misread the date, did I make up the conversation where he said he had a good time and wanted to do it again? I don't want to keep going on good dates and never hearing from the men again. I just can't keep doing that to myself. 23 hours after I sent the text I got a response. Funny all the thoughts that went through my head in 23 hours. He says he is playing golf with his dad on Friday and it would probably have to be next week because his weekend is jam packed. He asked how things were with me. I texted back a couple sentences and then suggested next Friday. No response...24 hours later I got a text. So apparently he is on a 24 hour turn around time on texts. Okay. Says he can't next Friday he is playing in a golf tournament that starts that day and asked about sometime during the week. I told him my work shift varies, but that I would be off at 4:30 on Thursday, but the following week I am working nights. Still waiting for a response...if it is 24 hour turn around time I should be getting one in about 15 minutes.
Initially I was very put off by this texting situation, especially when a guy friend of mine says he personally does doesn't respond to girls' texts because it keeps them interested. I think it is mean. On the other hand he does still sound like he wants to go out. So if the worst thing about him is slow text turn around, I can live with that. Stay tuned on LDP...
In other eligible bachelor news...there is none. These dating profiles are just so lackluster and I have very low motivation to put myself into a get to know you situation with someone that really does not spark my interest. My profile has been look at 612 times - that is a lot of eligible men, right? Hmm not so much. The few profiles that I have winked at have ignored it. I know I have mentioned this before, but it is just way to easy to be judgmental when looking at someones profile, maybe if I met some of these men randomly in life I wouldn't dismiss them, but online it is just too easy. I'm a bitch, but do I really respond to someone whose headline is "I love puppies, but I HATE small dogs." Um, I have a small dog and I have a picture of her on my profile so if I were him I would have changed that before emailing me.
Keep thinking happy dating thoughts for me...until next time.
No comments:
Post a Comment