DO! I had a great time in San Diego even though I was by myself the entire time. I have lived alone for the last 10 years and so I know how to be alone and entertain myself. It was nice to just get out of town and have no responsibilities. I only had to worry about pleasing myself.
What I learned on my solo vacation to San Diego:
1. Omni Hotel - nice accommodations with a great location to the Gaslamp Quarter and views of the bay.
2. Gaslamp Quarter is pretty much the best place to just walk along the street and pick a place to eat. Dining is outside and a great source for people watching.
3. Hostesses do not know what to do with a single diner.
4. Hostesses need to greet customers not just stand there and stare at them when they approach.
5. "Hi are you meeting someone?" is annoying no matter what town you are in when you are dining alone.
6. "What?" is not an appropriate response to "Hi, I would like to eat please." (Happened to me twice)
7. Yogurt Beach kicks Pinkberry's frozen yogurt's ass in a second!
8. 73 degrees is perfect laying by the pool weather.
9. Rum and Cokes taste so much better when served to you poolside.
10. Hard Rock Hotel pool screams party and sex. I felt out of place. My pool was closed one day because at a wedding that had taken place the day before someone had thrown glass in the pool. Super mature. So we had pool privileges across the street at Hard Rock. First off the pool area was much smaller. Second there were no lounge chairs. They were lounge beds! They were about the size of a double bed and I was kind of like, uhhhh. They were all occupied so I had to sit on like a love seat thing. This was not cool. Plus I was about 10 years older than everyone there. The waitress basically ignored me and I had to go to the bar myself to get my drink and walk along in my bikini next to all these super skinny 22 year olds. Not awesome. I wanted my pool back. STAT.
11. I hate public transportation. It took me an hour to go 4 miles to the zoo.
12. San Diego Zoo is fun no matter what age you are.
13. Children are a huge hindrance at the zoo.
14. Drinking wine with lunch at 11:30 while others are ordering breakfast can make you feel like a lush for about 30 seconds.
15. Ordering food poolside is just as cool as drinking poolside.
16. I hate feather pillows.
17. I couldn't sleep in on vacation.
18. The airport bar might be the friendliest place on earth.
19. I'm fabulous.
Overall I would say my first solo vacation was a success. No one was whining or bored. I was on my own schedule and could do whatever I wanted without having to worry if others were having a good time as well. On the other hand I did not venture out after 9 pm because I wasn't quite ready to do a bar scene by myself, so in return the only people I spoke to were in the service industry. No young professional men approached me as I dined alone and asked me to join them. In fact no man spoke to me at all, unless you count the homeless man who said he liked my earrings. I think this trip made me more comfortable with single status and doing things alone. I felt empowered and I was happy the entire time. The fact I was by myself didn't really resonate that much - except with the stupid hostesses. Do I want every vacation to be by myself, no, but I would not be opposed to doing it again. So now that I have an absolute comfortableness with singledom I am really ready to put an effort into dating. So I have done the unthinkable and joined another dating site. Gasp! So please readers think happy thoughts of maybe, just maybe this time I will meet a nice man!
No comments:
Post a Comment