Last Saturday I again found myself having to entertain myself on a weekend. Nothing new. As some of you may know UFC fights are fantastic and I enjoy them greatly. I mean really who does not enjoy strong, big-bicepped men hitting each other? Well I do that is for sure. A couple of my friends were unavailable so I ventured out to a local casino to watch it myself. I dressed nice casual in a royal blue tank top that had a ruffled scoop neckline, denim capris and black patent leather wedges. It was evening so I did a little smokey eye and curled my hair. For this particular casino you can pay a $10 fee to get into the large viewing room where there is a huge screen that airs the fights...with the $10 you also get tickets for five free drinks. Really its a win/win situation. Generally this room is packed. Tonight it was not. In fact it was quite sparse. People must be out enjoying the summer. I got myself in line to get a couple of drinks. When I stepped up to the bar the bartender slightly leered at me with a big grin on his face and said "Well hello, you are looking very pretty tonight." This gentleman looked like an old biker. Long gray hair in a pony tail, poochy belly with a leather vest. I thanked him and ordered my drinks. He told me I could have whatever I wanted. He then proceeded to pour a generous amount of rum into my glass and tell me I was so pretty I could get away with murder. If only. I tipped him $5. I went and found a seat in a row of about 8. I sat third seat from the left and there was a man sitting at the end of the row. Watched a few fights when a man, with a woman standing beside him, asked if I was saving these seats. I said no. They proceeded to sit right next to me. I'm confused. There are many open seats without having to sit directly next to someone. So I am sitting right next to this couple. I can clearly hear their conversations and it is evident they are on a date! WTF. Why did they have to sit next to me. Single me. I am guessing it is a second date situation because he was still asking her "get to know you" questions and there was no touching that indicated they were a long term couple. I almost thought I should move down a seat, but would that have been rude? I'm guessing they were around my age. She was sitting up straight - I recognized the posture. The "I'm going to sit up as straight as possible so he can't see my fat rolls" posture. She was cute, he was not what I would consider cute, but I suppose he wasn't hideous. I could easily have reached over and pushed her out of the chair and made it a date of me and him. Then he gets a phone call and tells whoever is on the phone to come on down the main fight is about to start. Whoa dude. Don't you know you should not bring a friend on a date! Run lady run! So this friend shows up...I admit I was slightly hoping for some hot guy so I could make polite conversation. He was not. He proceeds to come down the aisle and sit in the chair next to me. Um awkward. He says hello to the guy. Clearly he doesn't know the girl. I mention I can move. The man to my left says, oh no that's okay...unless you are expecting someone. No I'm not. I'm single and fabulous and I do things alone. Okay I didn't really say that. Fights ended early around 9 and I did not feel like going home quite yet. I rarely go out and the fact that I was out and not ready to go home was monumental.
I had texted my friend the day before to see if he would be watching UFC fights. He responded with that he was supposed to have date, but it hadn't been confirmed yet. I decided to text him and see if he was out or if he was on a date. He said the date had gotten rescheduled and he was at home. Ahh crap. Guess I will just have to go home too. He then said he was meeting his friends out later to go to a club, but he could meet me for a drink in about 30 minutes. So we decided to meet at one of the bars in another casino. I was there by myself for about 20 minutes with a drink. No one spoke to me. My friend arrived and gave him a hug. I am going to call this friend Book, because it is so easy to judge him based on his cover. I will stop now to tell you a bit about Book. I first met him about eights months ago. The first thing I noticed? His ahhhmazing biceps. He has tattoos, muscles, he's Mexican and not tall. He has confidence and can absolutely come off as a jerk. He's silly and politically incorrect. I am sure it is most people's judgment to say douche bag and walk on. We have hung out a handful of times and he has never been a jerk to me and is actually quite complimentary and nice. How did I meet Book? He is T-pilots friend...I just heard a collective hmmmm go around. So our conversation begins with our recent dates. Mine obviously being the failure to hear from LDP. He thinks it is ridiculous that I have one date in seven months. He says I need to put myself out there more. He says my problem is that I am very attractive, but I lack confidence (he is brilliant). I realize my lack of confidence and I'm sure it is rooted in some deep issues that will not be resolved in a day. We talked about his date - it had to be rescheduled because she had to take a friend to the ER. She is 23. I immediately roll my eyes and make a groan. Really?! Why do men my age date these young girls? As much as they seem to have their life together most will still be immature compared to a single and fabulous girl in her 30's such as myself. I digress. We continued on with chatting and had another drink. When we were both feeling good from our drinks he told me that he has found me attractive since the day we met and would like to take me out on a date. He says he goes out a lot, but it is getting old and he is ready to settle down. He sensed my hesitation. He reminded me of the things we have in common, both Catholic (this is a big thing he says), we both watch Jersey Shore (our silliness), we lean towards the same political persuasion, and we are both professional. He's right I think. He has big biceps, a job and no kids. He kind of meets my requirements. I am still not convinced...he is T-pilots friend. How would he fit in with my friends and family? Hmmmm. I've seen pictures of girls he has gone out with. They are cute girls, some I would even describe as hot Latina women. I'm judging here...but it seems like he likes arm candy. Could I be arm candy?? He rates Eva Mendes as a 10. Maybe my sparkling personality will outweigh the fact that I am not a hot Latina woman. Hmmm I am enjoying his company. He said don't judge a book by its cover. He gets a text from his friends. They are in line at the club and he needs to get there. He says I should go to, but I would never ever go to a club in denim capris!!!! I'm kind of overruled and end up going. We get a drink inside, chat and start dancing. I might be getting a little tipsy, more dancing...uh oh getting more tipsy. I know what you are all thinking. Stop judging. You know most of you have been there where you drink just a little bit too much and randomly kiss someone that maybe you wouldn't normally (RMO shout out to my K-Falls girls!). By 1:00 a.m. I am ready to go as I have drank too much and need to go to bed. Book takes my hand and gets me in a cab home. He says he will come get me tomorrow to get my car.
I have a bit of a slow start the next day but Book comes and picks me up when I text him. We have normal conversation in the car and when he drops me off at my car. He says "So are we going to go out?" I am so lame. I am still confused. I don't know if I should. I am judging. I know this Book's cover. It has pretty colors. I even have read the paragraphs on the back of the book...do I want to start reading the first page? I told him I would think about it. I realize that is not fair. He knows that part of my hesitation is T-pilot. I know Book's basics, it would be like starting on a third date. Obviously I am already comfortable around him as he started out a friend. Hmmmm shall I start reading this Book? (Don't you love all my smartly placed puns) I suppose it wouldn't hurt. Stay tuned for the first chapter...
In other possible dating news I have a coworker/friend who is a runner. I must say I don't understand these marathon runners. I ran two miles a week ago and was sore for two days. A bug flew in my mouth. Seriously where is the joy in this. Anyway her running partner last week is single. He has a job! He has no kids! He has a dog dying of cancer. Sadness. She wonders how he is still single and mentions she has someone she could set him up with. He is game. His dating requirement...be a good speller. I'm a good speller! I play Words with Friends! I was in a Spelling Bee in fourth grade! So maybe I teared up when I failed out because I misspelled raccoon. Stupid word. Who knew it had two "C's." Is the second one really necessary?? So aside from some typos from my speedy typing I'd say I can spell decently. Just remind me not to ever write him. She is going to speak to him this weekend and set something up for us next week. Blind Date!
Keep thinking happy dating thoughts for me. Until next time...

Is it okay to judge a guy by his dog?
ReplyDeleteUmmm absolutely!
ReplyDelete